Top Turks is a monthly feature on E2M. It features the movers and shakers in the fields of entrepreneurship, digital marketing, social media, and technology, offering insights into how business leaders think, work and have fun.
Co-founder and CEO of nearbuy.com (erstwhile Groupon India), our multifaceted Top Turk of the month, Ankur Warikoo is also an India-based angel investor. He was previously associated with Rocket Internet India, Accentium Web (Gaadi.com SecondShaadi.com), and A.T. Kearney.
As an angel investor, his interest gravitates towards Internet and tech startups. He is also a visiting faculty and speaker at some of India’s premier B-schools.
Ankur was awarded the title of India’s Most Promising Entrepreneur by Enterprise Asia in 2013. He has been listed in Fortune India’s 40 Under 40 List for the years 2013 and 2014. Further, he also featured in the list of India’s Top 25 Executives below the age of 40 years by Business Today in 2014.
We got in touch with Ankur to know more about him.
1. What do you do within half-an-hour of waking up?
I wake up at 4:50am everyday and the first 30 minutes are spent in having a glass of water and meditation, followed by reading or writing.
2. How much time do you devote to work daily?
At least 12 hours.
3. What is your daily work routine like?
I check my emails first thing in the morning. Leave for work around 8:30am. At work, it’s mostly dealing with a lot of meetings and discussions. Usually reach home around 9pm and sleep by 11pm.
4. How many times in a day do you check your email?
I am on my email every single minute. I’m an email addict.
5. How much time in a day do you dedicate to researching or reading/watching industry-related news?
About 30 minutes everyday.
6. What has been your biggest professional achievement so far?
So far, it’s been pulling off the management buy-out of Groupon’s India business and converting it into nearbuy.com.
7. What has been your biggest failure so far?
I have lost several times in life, but never failed. I think failure is a state of mind that I have never allowed myself to get into.
8. What is your biggest dream?
To be the first man on Mars.
9. How do you unwind?
I read a lot.
I love writing and have been blogging for 11 years now. Here’s a link to my blog, www.ankurwarikoo.com.
I love photography and click at the smallest excuse.
And I love singing, but only for myself.
10. What is the craziest thing about you?
I am a very normal guy. I don’t think anything would classify as crazy when it comes to me.
11. How do you spend your weekends?
Mostly with family. Watching a movie or shopping or getting foot massages (I love them!). Work also happens on weekends.
12. What mindset do you think is required to become a successful entrepreneur or a company?
The most important mindset is to be able to manage your own psychology. Allowing no one else, but your own self to define what success and failure means.
13. If given a chance, what is that one thing you’d like to change in your life (personally or professionally)?
Nothing. I am really happy with my life.
14. Would you like to share anything other than what is asked here? About you or your company.
Nope – all good.
Please tell us a few things about you that not many people know:
- Your phone brand – iphone 6S
- Your computer brand – Lenovo
- Your favorite app – WhatsApp
- Your preferred dress code at work – Jeans and tee
- Your waking time – 4:50am
- Your bed time – 11:00pm
- Your favorite pastime – Writing
- Your favorite blog/newspaper/news channel – Medium
- Your inspiration – No one in particular
- Your health mantra – Work out everyday so that you can eat whatever you want :).
These were some interesting titbits on the talented and promising Ankur Warikoo.
When you read about such inspirational people and their beliefs, it is natural to feel fired up enough to start a venture of your own and make it work.
We hope you enjoyed reading this month’s edition and will come back to Top Turks for more.